U.S. Life Sciences Specialist - 2019
L.E.K. Consulting is a global management consulting firm that uses deep industry expertise and rigorous analysis to help business leaders achieve practical results with real impact. We are uncompromising in our approach to helping clients consistently make better decisions, deliver improved business performance and create greater shareholder returns. The firm advises and supports global companies that are leaders in their industries — including the largest private and public sector organizations, private equity firms and emerging entrepreneurial businesses. Founded more than 30 years ago, L.E.K. employs more than 1,000 professionals across the Americas, Asia-Pacific and Europe and is recognized as a top consulting firm to work for.
Life Sciences Specialist Position
Life Sciences is L.E.K.’s largest practice and supports leading companies across several sub-segments of the industry including biopharma, medtech, and diagnostics. L.E.K. also has strong relationships with many of the investors and advisors that support the broader healthcare industry. While L.E.K.’s Life Sciences practice has recognized excellence across a wide range of service offerings, the common denominator is helping clients to address their most pressing strategic and operational issues with a focus on delivering value-creating growth. As part of this focus, L.E.K. has worked with some of the industry’s most innovative companies including 9 of the top 10 global biopharma companies, all of the top 10 medtech companies. We have also been recognized as the M&A advisor of the year and the Healthcare Sector Advisor of the Year, in addition to several other awards.
L.E.K. Life Sciences Specialists (LSS) are ambitious and bright PhDs / MDs that are focused in a science field and are from the top programs at leading universities. Working alongside senior and junior members of the case team, LSSs apply their unique skills and experiences to projects while receiving top training in strategic business consulting. Each person will take on responsibility for leading modules of project work and driving analytical insights to support L.E.K.’s deepest vertical.
As an LSS, you gain comprehensive training that integrates science, business and economics to prepare you for strategic leadership in the healthcare and life sciences industry. You will not only be a technical expert, but also a business expert, developing cutting-edge strategic and managerial skills that provide a strong foundation for a career at L.E.K.
LSSs work collaboratively with peers and senior leadership to define initial hypotheses, direct and control research and analytical work, and produce fact-based and analytically robust conclusions.
While casework needs will vary every day, your role will involve:
- Conducting primary and secondary research on markets, competitors and customers
- Applying your technical and scientific expertise to client issues
- Performing rigorous analysis to pinpoint appropriate, practical recommendations for your clients
- For Advanced Degree candidates, L.E.K. offers the opportunity to build on your academic foundation and follow a fast track to the role of Consultant.
- Collaborating with team members to transform research and analysis into thoughtful insights and communicating key findings to the client in written presentations and verbal interactions that deliver maximum impact to clients
Why L.E.K. is Different
The role of an L.E.K. Life Sciences Specialist is differentiated from the broader market for a number of reasons:
- Meaningful Management Opportunities – LSSs will quickly gain responsibility for managing Associates and day-to-day core project leadership
- Breadth of experience – L.E.K. projects span strategy, M&A and operations with a deep focus on strategy and Life Sciences as L.E.K.’s deepest vertical. LSSs will typically work on ~6-10 projects / year resulting in a stronger foundation across business skills with a breadth of industry exposure
- International Experience – Approximately one-third of L.E.K projects involve an international component, which allows LSSs to work on international case teams or, if they choose, to relocate to international offices on a short term basis.
- Upward Mobility – L.E.K. is a meritocracy with an entrepreneurial culture. Promotion paths do not follow a strict timeline; we promote people as fast as they develop.
- Fun, Stimulating Work Environment – There is a greater sense of camaraderie in offices given that L.E.K. teams spend substantially more time in their home office relative to teams at peer firms.
Qualifications and Experience Needed
L.E.K. seeks highly motivated, creative, and entrepreneurial candidates who possess outstanding academic achievement, comfort with quantitative analysis, significant professional experiences, notable extracurricular interests, and demonstrated leadership and initiative.
L.E.K Consulting is an Equal Opportunity Employer.