Life Sciences Consultant
Life Sciences Consultant Role
The Consultant role is at the core of our case team structure. As a Consultant, you will work closely up and down the team with Associates, Managers and Partners. Our case team structure provides Consultants with a unique opportunity to manage a team of Associates from day one. You’ll have primary responsibility for breaking down and analysing the client's strategic issues, developing recommendations and communicating those recommendations
Consultants have a high level of responsibility in guiding and managing the case team and working closely with clients.
Specific responsibilities of a Consultant include:
- Identifying the critical issues – Consultants work with Partners and Managers to outline the client’s key business issues that need resolution. L.E.K. Consultants develop the business acumen necessary to quickly identify key client issues early in their career.
- Structuring problem solving analyses – Once the key issues have been identified, the Consultant typically forms a plan to find the answers to these critical questions. The Consultant will lay out the approach to the team for finding information on for instance market growth drivers, competitive profiling, or broad market trends.
- Managing the team’s day-to-day activities – L.E.K. generally hires two Associates for every one Consultant, implying that the management of less experienced colleagues is as much a part of the Consultant role as solving business issues. A significant responsibility of L.E.K. Consultants is the guidance and mentorship of Associates on a day-to-day basis.
- Solving the case – At the end of the day, our clients expect high quality, actionable answers to their business problems. L.E.K. Consultants ensure the team is on-track to accurately solve the problem and deliver an answer. Consultants supervise analyses, develop the structure for the final output, provide quality control, and in most cases, participate in the delivery of the case conclusion to the client’s senior management.
- Turning strategy into action: L.E.K. Consultants work closely with senior members of the client organisation to ensure that the strategies and initiatives are actioned and the benefits are realised. The Consultant role typically involves facilitating workshops to reach consensus on the approach, the development and rollout of tools to track progress against the key steps and milestones and working collaboratively with the client to ensure successful implementation of the strategic initiatives. Consultants will also supervise Associates through this stage of the case.
The Mumbai office works on projects across Southeast Asia and therefore some travel may be required.
Developing your skills
The Consultant role at L.E.K. offers superior, diversified business training with immediate management responsibility that more quickly prepares you for leadership and problem solving in any business organization. You will see the most business situations and solve the most business issues at a rapid pace.
Qualifications and experience needed
Overall, a clear drive to join the world of strategy consulting and an understanding of what this entails. L.E.K. seeks highly motivated, creative, and entrepreneurial candidates who possess strong business and finance skills, effective interpersonal and communication skills, leadership qualities, and uncompromising ethics. An MBA from a top school is highly preferred. Previous experience in a consulting environment (or similar) is an advantage but not essential.
This role requires someone with a Life Sciences background, preferably an MD.
For the Mumbai office, Fluency in English (spoken and written) is essential. Fluency in another ASEAN language is highly preferred.